Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Perfect Bracket, Part 1: The Champion

So I decided to do a little research about picking teams as I decide which bandwagons to hop on to for the tourney (since my Heels are busted).

So who wins titles? It's certainly not teams that are one-dimensional or rely on one star player. Consider the past 5 national champions: 08-09 UNC, 07-08 Kansas, 05-06, 06-07 Florida, and 04-05 UNC. Each of those teams had at least 4 players taken in the NBA draft and at least 2 of those players went in the 1st round. The 04-05 Heels sent 4 in the first round and another in the 2nd, Florida had the same (4 in the 1st, 1 in the 2nd), Kansas had 2 go in the first, but 3 go in the 2nd. The most recent champs went 3 and 1. Whats most amazing is that on none of these teams did they have the number one overall pick.

So which teams boast lineups full of NBA draftees, I think of 3 right away: Kentucky, Michigan State, and Kansas.

Kentucky definitely fits the bill. Young, electric, and young. Perhaps the most talented team, however I can't pick them as champion. John Wall is the consensus number one pick and prone to tunnel vision. Do you trust his jump shot to win tight games? I don't.

Michigan State has a depth of talent and experience, this team will sneak under the radar, enter the tourney as a 2 seed and will be a dangerous team like last year. I wouldn't be surprised to watch them roll through the tourney

But, I'm calling my shot early and I'm taking Kansas. Unless theres an injury or something else unforeseen, you have to like the Jayhawks chances. Sharon Collins runs the show and is nails during crunch time and tournament time. Cole Aldrich is solid inside. Mo Morris and Xavier Henry are long and can score and they have good complimentary players in Ty Taylor and Morningstar. Kansas definitely appears to look the part of the eventual champion.

3 comments:

  1. I like the approach. Too often pseudo-bracketologists get caught with blinders on trying to figure out the last four in and last four out. If we can determine who has the best chance of going the distance, this will help determine how they should be seeded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...Just a horrible blog sirs. Yo JK...do you think Kentucky is actually two parts young?? I mean I know they are young and electric...but saying that they are young, electric and young...dude that is placing them in a very small group of teams. Just saying...

    Forever yours...The Dutch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good calls all around. History repeats itself for a reason. Though many teams might play well as a team, you need the elite talent to rise above and throw the hay-makers come tournament time. All said teams have this talent. I would also throw WVU into the discussion (sorry Ski I, you know I sip the Huggins kool-aid). Ebanks and Butler are first round picks IMO and when this team plays defense, they can hang with anyone. I've been bitten by the WVU bug before though . . . .

    ReplyDelete